 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5210
Re: 6-stud road baseplates with dark grey road pattern parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 08:45:41 GMT

As I'm almost in a position to upload these 3 road plates to the parts tracker I
have a few questions

1) what are the correct part numbers?  44336p01/44342p01/44341p01 or some other
identifier to indicate a patterned part?  (There is another variant of the
straight road - http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=44336pb02  I'll
model this one as well when I've opened the set!  I'm assuming that will be
44336p02)

2) what is the correct Category?  Baseplate?

3) having replaced all my custom primitives with quads and lines, should I
remove all the lines between co-planar quads? (These exist only to make the
wireframe views work as opposed to indicating an actual edge between two
quads.)

4) Having had chance to study a friends cross-roads plate in detail I shall
model this one as well.  It has 4 fold rotational symmetry.  Should I model this
as one sub-part and rotate it 4 times in the model or "in-line" the pattern 4
times?

thanks in advance

William

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, William Howard wrote:
6-stud road baseplates with dark grey road pattern parts
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/whoward69/LDraw/parts/6studRoadBaseplates/road6studs.jpg

6-stud straight (part 44336, set 4110)
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/whoward69/LDraw/parts/6studRoadBaseplates/road6studsstraight44336.jpg

6-stud curve (part 44342, set 4109)
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/whoward69/LDraw/parts/6studRoadBaseplates/road6studscurvea44342.jpg

6-stud junction (part 44341, set 4108)
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/whoward69/LDraw/parts/6studRoadBaseplates/road6studsjunction44341.jpg

I don't have the 6-stud crossroads (set 4111), so haven't modelled it, but it
looks like the crossing section of the junction (triangle from centre to corner
to corner) rotated 4 times. If someone with both baseplates confirms this I may
model it.

BrickShelf folder with part and sub-part files (when moderated)

The baseplates I have vary in printing quality with the pattern "moving" by +/-
3degrees and/or +/- 2mm so in some cases I've picked the mathematically easiest
location.  All the parts were created via MS-Excel so if anyone wants to
"improve" them, especially the curved sections, email me and I'll send the
spreadsheet with all the point calculations.