 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4766
Re: Question about the layering of dithered colors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Sat, 12 Jul 2003 13:27:25 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, willy tschager wrote:

* can I assign a dithered color to the pattern-subpart although the subpart has
mixed colors? did you get me?
is this 1 272 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 s\71472a.dat allowed?

Yes, you can use standard colors (0-15, 32-47) in a subpart that has
color 16 for a dithered color.

* is it allowed to mix full colors with dithered colors in a subpart or do I
have to seperate all the dithers into their own subfile?

Yes.  Each dithered color must go in a separate subfile, but each
subfile may have any number of standard color items.

One exception to the dithered-colors-in-a-subfile rule: if all
references to a dithered color are against primitives, there's no need
to make a subfile for that color.  It's only polygons that can't dither
directly (in LDRAW.EXE).

* is it correct to store all subparts in the s-folder or shall I store the
pattern in the normal "Parts"-folder?

All the subfiles you described should go in parts\s\.

Only two kinds of files should go in the parts\ directory:
- Files which model complete physical parts (or at least component
  parts)
- Files that modelers might have to work with, like segments of
  flexible elements.

Steve