 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4752
Re: New Primitive Class
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Fri, 4 Jul 2003 19:04:18 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, John Riley wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Paul Easter writes:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, John Riley writes:
My current 33089 (in PT) is a rather bulky file (55KB), so to streamline it,
I decided to make a few new primitives.  One of these was a torus with major
radius 1 and minor radius 1.

When Steve and I were working on the format for the torii, I believe we said
we would deal with this issue when it arose. Now it has.

The spreadsheet I made to create p/16 and p/48 torii also included support
for this occurance. Basically, I changed the first letter to "r". The header
looked like this;
- 0 non-Torus Outside 1 x 1 x 0.25
- 0 Name: r04o0100.dat
This was not a discussed issue, so I took some liberties with it. I have not
settled on the "non-Torus" header, but it let me move on.

I checked some geometry websites, and the consensus is that these are tori.
Just not the common type.

Inverted is a word that came to mind but didn't seem to apply.

Inverse-ratio torus is a better name, but is fairly lengthy.  An inverted
torus, I think, is still a torus, just with the surfaces inverted, and would
be done using BFC, I imagine.  Which would be completely useless.

How about uncommon or atypical?  These seem more appropriate than inverted.

This is what my spreadsheet came up with:
- 0 non-Torus Outside 1 x 1.1333 x 0.25
- 0 Name: r04o0113.dat

- 0 non-Torus Outside 1 x 1.125 x 0.25
- 0 Name: r04o0112.dat

not much difference.

I have the following "non-Torus" files already generated. Let me know if you
want them to play with;
r04o0100.dat
r04o0200.dat
r04o0300.dat

Paul

This appears to be the RRdd solution.  This is a solution that I liked,
although it loses some of the precision that the common torus had (one of
Travis' concerns, as was mine).

I must confess that I like the 9999 solution as in Travis post, especially
if the spec is edited to recognize t04oNNNN as a torus with minor axis
radius = N/9.  Thus, I went ahead and submitted the unit torus as
t04o9999.dat in PT.

If the solution is to use the rFFXRRdd format, then I'll go back and rename
the unit torus to r04o0100.dat  I hope this is documented in the Primitives
Reference guide, as the unit torus could be quite useful.  The other
uncommon tori, they'll probably never see the inside of a dat file.

For even more future discussion, there's the issue of the inner version of
these tori.  After the unit torus, the inner uncommon torus start
overlapping.  I think that keeping the file in the +x+y+z octant is the
solution, but again, this is future discussion for a file that in all
likelihood will never even be created.

Thanks for your help, and if the verdict is to rename t04o9999 to r04o0100,
please let me know.  And I think Uncommon Torus 1 x 1 x 0.25 is probably the
best header.  Again, LMKWYT

John
This topic still needs some approval before we nac move it to finalization.
We have been discussing torii(toruses) where the tube radius is equal or greater
than the major radius.
This only works for the outside sections since the inside section of the torus
will fold in on itself.
Basically what I need to know is what letter should lead the filename. Currently
I am using "r", but I think this can be confused with "ring"

Applications;
The outside sections can be used in several places, especially 2x2 cylinder
parts like 30151 and 553.
I believe there are other applications too.

John Riley is waiting for this to be wrapped up since he is trying to update or
create some parts.

Currently the beginning of the file looks like this;
0 Torus Outside  1 x 1.5000 x 0.25
0 Name: r04o1500.dat
0 Author: Primitive Generator
0 Unofficial Primitive

0 BFC CERTIFY CW

0 Major Radius: 2
0 Tube(Minor) Radius: 3
0 Segments(Sweep): 4/16 = 0.25
0 1  9  0 0 0  1 0 0  0 1 0  0 0 1  4-4edge.dat
0 1 12  1 0 0  1.5000 0 0  0 0 1.5000  0 1 0  4-4edge.dat
If you want me to post a more complete file, let me know.

LMKWYT,

Paul