 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4564
Re: New Primitive Class
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 02:07:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, John Riley writes:
Actually, it's not a new primitive, but it doesn't fit under the current
naming scheme.

My current 33089 (in PT) is a rather bulky file (55KB), so to streamline it,
I decided to make a few new primitives.  One of these was a torus with major
radius 1 and minor radius 1.

When Steve and I were working on the format for the torii, I believe we said
we would deal with this issue when it arose. Now it has.

Under the current naming scheme, this primitive would be named:
t04o10000.dat
which is not in 8.3 format.

The spreadsheet I made to create p/16 and p/48 torii also included support
for this occurance. Basically, I changed the first letter to "r". The header
looked like this;
- 0 non-Torus Outside 1 x 1 x 0.25
- 0 Name: r04o0100.dat
This was not a discussed issue, so I took some liberties with it. I have not
settled on the "non-Torus" header, but it let me move on.

I'm tempted to name this file t04ounit.dat.  I'd make it a subpart, but it's
a true primitive, and I can see it being used in the future (probably could
be used in modelling helmets with flat tops, such as Boba Fett's and the
Stormtrooper's).

yes, possibly.

The other possibilty is to come up with a naming scheme for those tori with
minor radii larger than their major radii.  I'd call these inverted tori, as
the minor/major ratio is inverted.
Inverted is a word that came to mind but didn't seem to apply.

Thus, using a similar naming scheme,
we'd have
iFFXRRRR.dat
where FF is the sweep as before
X is o,i, or q as before
and RRRR is the major/minor ratio (the inverse of the regular torus ratio)

thus, for a maj=1 min=1, 1/4 outer torus (the one I made)
i04o1000.dat
for a maj=1, min =2, 1/4 outer
i04o0500.dat
and so on.

Another possibilty is
iFFXRRDD.dat
where RR.DD is the minor axis length to 2 decimal place precision
thus, the torus I made is now:
i04o0100.dat

or similarly
iFFXRDDD
now with 3 decimal place precision, but you now can't make tori with min/maj
ratios >=10

There are many more options, but these are the two I came up with that
seemed reasonable.  My personal preference is for the third (can easily
distinguish btw 1/1.133 and 1/1.125)  Any thoughts?

This is what my spreadsheet came up with:
- 0 non-Torus Outside 1 x 1.1333 x 0.25
- 0 Name: r04o0113.dat

- 0 non-Torus Outside 1 x 1.125 x 0.25
- 0 Name: r04o0112.dat

not much difference.

I have the following "non-Torus" files already generated. Let me know if you
want them to play with;
r04o0100.dat
r04o0200.dat
r04o0300.dat