 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4580
Re: Darth Vader Helmet on Parts tracker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 19:01:27 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Paul Easter writes:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, John Riley writes:
Well, the Vader helmet has taken a very long time. Since about June of 2002.
Keep in mind that there have been periods of several months of no ldraw...
If you do decide to make one of the helmets, be sure to let us know so we
don't take the time too.

I'm not in any rush to do so.  I'm still gaining experience from doing more
symmetrical parts.  I can see that the Stormtrooper's helmet could take as
long or longer than Vader's helmet.  The Rebel helmet could be done in a
much shorter time:  it's not nearly as complex.  I'll post to the group when
I start the Rebel helmet.  I'll probably start in May.  I'm currently
working on 30535 (Engine 2 x 4 x 4, although I prefer Propeller Housing) and
will soon after work on the archway from the Final Duel set.  Not rather
useful or interesting pieces, but good practice.

So far, the only technique that I've thought up is to take photographs from
the 6 axis viewpoints and map the points that way using the pixel locations
(two images are needed to get all three coordinates for each point).  It
seems that you may have a better technique for doing complex detailed parts.
Would you care to share a few tips?
I am experimenting with this process with the Emperor's hood. Don't expect
anything real soon. :)

I haven't tried this yet, but I think this is the only substitute I have for
not having dial calipers.

Also, not to nitpick or anything, but hat is the last word I think of when I
think of Darth Vader's helmet.
I understand. I was trying to group it with the largest number of headwear
items. Perhaps all the hats, helmets, bandana's etc, should be renamed to
"headwear"

I must admit that I hate the minifig part naming system, or rather the lack
of it.  I'd love to see hair, hats, etc go under headwear, and a more
consistent use of Minifig Tool xxxx  for handheld items, like the Radio.

As for tips, I use dial calipers to make measurements, Some guesswork, and
visual changes to make it look right when measurements do not seem to look
correct.

How much does a set of dial calipers cost?  And what sort of precision do
you need?

Programs I use;
LDAO with L3Lab and LDView.
Lcad Calculator (for finding line/triangle intersections)

I also check apprearance and usage in MLcad.
Just reciently I have tried LDdraw design pad, but it lacks several of
LDAO's tools. (Love the colors on the matrix numbers!)

Paul

I've been using notepad and a spreadsheet program (OpenOffice, an Excel
clone) to do a lot of modeling.  I've been using L3Lab and LDView for
viewing (L3Lab for BFC and LDView for line placement).  MLCad is useful for
rotating parts, I've found, especially when not around the part origins.
The spreadsheets I use include a few calculators much like your LCad calculator.

I've tried LDDP, but I only use it for inlining parts.  I don't like the
fact that when opening MPDs, it won't inline parts from within that MPD.
I've yet to try LDAO, but it's sounds like I should. :)

Thanks for the tips.  If I get around to rendering the ROTJ ending, I'll be
sure to let you know.

John