 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4177
Re: 3867 Baseplate 16 x 16 with Island Pattern
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 08:23:25 GMT

No confusion needed, just sloppy work of the L.factory.
I own about 25 of these plates, both the ones with full print on grey
plate, and the ones with just Island print (yellow+green) on blue plate.

Almost none of the plates are exactly identical, so I think it is hardly
impossible to make a definition of THE plate.
They vary about '+ or -' 1 stud in one, or both directions, and the
thickness of the beach-line is also not consistent. No problem, it
doesn't hurt the building/playing FUN !           :-)

For all the Lego-purists out there who like always-identical material:
BIG disappointment, when it comes to Pirates base-plates!
NB: the 32x32 plates suffer the same problem...  more confusion??  :-)

Klaas H. Meijaard
Owner of every existing Pirate-set, and many more....

TWS Garrison wrote:

Okay, great confusion here. . .

When assembling the two larger (6265 and 6260) of my four Pirate sets, I was
suprised to see that TLC had used the same pattern on two 16x16 baseplates, but
placed it differently.  One basplate has the pattern almost a full stud, plus
the interstud space, closer to the edge in one direction, and a half-stud
closer to the edge in another direction relative to the my other baseplate.
This seemed to me odd, since there was no great gain by the move and the sets
were produced cocurrently.  At the same time, the possibility of simple error
seems remote, since the pattern (although uncomplicated) crosses studs and has
crisp edges---both of which seem incompatible with some "random" spraying
process that would permit such a large offset.

But, looking at the instructions,
http://library.brickshelf.com/scans/6000/6260/6260-02.html
http://library.brickshelf.com/scans/6000/6265/6265-02.html
the baseplates pictured do not match closely each other *or* the two baseplates
I have.

So, my question is, are there really two (or more) patterns?  If so, which is
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/3867p01.dat
and do the patterns have distinct .piratical names?  Should the above part be
renamed to indicate that it is one of two similar parts?

Thanks,
TWS Garrison