 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 3497
Re: New Part: x192.dat - Minifig Shield Round
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 16:10:45 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Tony Hafner wrote:

When I downloaded this part, I can see that Lugnet's DAT download truncated
the lines to 80 characters.  This totally mangled the part.  Is this a
weakness of the Lugnet interface, or is it enforcing a standard?

It's a weakness of the posting method (the file came in via email).  I
believe the line-wrapping was performed by Willy's email software.

I recommend that all DAT content be posted via LUGNET's web interface,
to avoid this line-wrapping issue.  If using the web interface is not an
option, be sure to change your email/newsreader's line-length setting to
something ridiculously long.

In other
words, are part file lines supposed to be limited to 80 characters anyway?

Not generally.  Comments and meta-statements should be limited to 80
characters.  Title lines (the first line in the file) must be no more
than 66 characters.  Code lines (linetypes 1 through 5) should be as
long as they need to be.

Assuming some reasonable limit on the size of a number in digits (say 20
total including before and after the decimal place, that allows a very big
and pretty precise number) isn't there sort of an upper bound on the line
length likely to be seen based on calculating the max chars used for each
statement type?