 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 32
Re: Unofficial part: 2852 Technic Connecting Rod
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 20:45:02 GMT

Fredrik Glöckner <fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no> wrote in message
"John VanZwieten" <john_vanzwieten@email.msn.com> writes:

The 1/4 cylinder wedge thingy connecting the lower stud with the arm
doesn't join the stud quite right.  It should extend further down
around the stud.

Thanks!  I'll check it out when I get home.

There are a couple edge lines missing on the side of the arm.  Take a
look in wireframe from an oblique angle and this will be obvious.

Do you mean where the wedge thing meets the rectangular rod, on both
sides?  Those edges were left out intentionally, because I have really
modeled a curved surface with two plane ones.  There isn't supposed to
be an edge in the real part at this place; there is simply a gradually
curving surface.  This is much like on the "front" of the part, where
the stud meets the rectangular rod.  At the front, I used a 1-4cyli.dat
to model the curved surface, and I left out the edge where the
1-4cyli.dat meets the rod.

Here's an illustration:

    http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/technic/ldraw/2852-ill.gif

The white arrow points at where I've intentionally left out an edge.

The edge I'm talking about is parallel to the "left-out" edge to which you
point, to the right and down a little.  It should start where the top stud ends
and extend up and to the right.  If you look in wireframe mode, you will see
the piece is not entirely enclosed by edges.

I think the edges should be left out at the sides of the rod.  What do
you guys think?

For modeling a curved surface you definitely don't want to put an edge line if
the curve begins smoothly from the flat surface.  You might consider modeling
this curve from two quads rather than 1, though, or even better use a
1-8cyli.dat so it looks nicely rounded in POV-Ray.

-John Van