 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 2522
Re: Updated part: Tile 2x2 with Explorien Pattern
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 17:43:11 GMT

"Steve Bliss" <steve.bliss@home.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Carsten Schmitz wrote:

Hello!

I allowed myself to update that part. Original was made by Steve Bliss.
I rescanned the image, squeezed it through BMP-2-Dat32 and voilà...

Look at the result by yourself. At higher quality the part has an even
smaller file size
than the original (about 4 kb smaller).

I hope this is ok for you ... Steve?

In general, it's OK for me.  I never mind someone coming up with better
versions of files I did.

And this file looks better than the original!

But (also in general), BMP2DAT is not the way to go with patterns.  DAT
just doesn't handle raster patterns very well.
What I really would like to see is a vector/polygon version of this
pattern.  I'm actually working on one; I've got all the easy parts done
(the black and yellow).  I'm pulling out LDS/LDSShell to work on the • silver
and blue.  Let me see what I can do; I'll post results.

Yes. I will look forward to that. Generally I am agreeing with you. I really
would like to be able
to create in a verctor based program patterns like this and convert it to
LDraw .dat but i did not found the right solution so far.

Still there are some patterns out there (e.g. the tile with the Astronatus
pic or some of the UFO tiles) I really dont want to draw even in a
vector-based program ;-)))). (hey.. i did not make that tile ;-)) )

Additionally i prefer a maybe not completely perfect part instead of no part
at all :). And the quality of the bitmapped parts I made are good. At my
homepage you can find POV-renderings of all my parts and i think if you dont
know they are bitmapped you would not notice it.

But a vectorized version is always better (of course).

Greetings,

Carsten