 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 1738
Re: New Part: 2x2 round tile with imperial logo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 13:12:08 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Matt Schild writes:
Are you drawing this part "by eye" or measuring, or working from a scan?
Scanning it in and then blowing up the scan to really high resolution may be
a good way to get the dimensions closer.

Actually, I'm drawing it from memory, which isn't working quite as well as I
hoped it would (I've got the set that it's from, but it's in storage right
now).  I'm sure that if I had a part or a good close-up pic or scan that I
could work from it would be a much better job.  In fact... that pic of the
train should be plenty to get me much closer to the mark.

Thanks

Standard accepted practice in the parts authoring community is to *not* do
this. That is, don't draw parts you don't actually have in front of you.
That pic I posted is enough to tell that a part is "wrong" but not enough to
tell that a part is "right".

Wait till you have the part in front of you (or at least, until you have a
very high resolution (600 DPI?) scan in front of you)... for now, work on
something else.

I'm as eager as anyone to have this part but you'll be much more warmly
received by other authors if you *don't* work on parts you don't have in
front of you, trust me. No one is in such a rush for it that we can't wait
till you have one to work from. We DO appreciate your enthusiasm, though!

If worst comes to worst, I'll mail you one in 3 weeks when I get back to the
US, as long as you send it back when you are done.

++Lar