 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 1691
Re: rotation matrices
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 00:53:35 GMT

"koen" <koen.jordens@student.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote in message
news:G2JIF8.L7o@lugnet.com...
Hello,
Does anyone have more information about those 9 numbers that make up the
rotation matrix for a part in the dat file?

They are the upper-left 3x3 matrix of a standard 4x4 transformation matrix
used in 3D graphics.  I'm not going to give a lesson on 3D transformations,
but if you find any references on 3D transformation matrices on the web (of
which there are plenty), an LDraw part specification maps like so:

1 <COLOR> X Y Z A B C D E F G H I part.dat

becomes:

A D G X
B E H Y
C F I Z
0 0 0 1

(Note the letters go vertically.)  I believe some references may swap the
rows/columns, to produce:

A B C 0
D E F 0
G H I 0
X Y Z 1

It's easy to tell which matrix they are referring to by checking out where
the translation (X, Y, Z) portion fits into their matrix.  Having mapped
LDraw models to OpenGL, I can say that any OpenGL-related texts will likely
use the first matrix.

I hope this helps.

(If I've somehow messed things up badly, someone please correct me.)

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@san.REMOVE.rr.com)