 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 1653
Re: Better UCS X-wing Canopy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:36:33 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Jay Cal writes:
After installation I recieve 2 error messages.
Mlcad is unable to locate the following files: UCSDET01.dat and UCSDET02.dat

Greetz,
Jay

Ps. Great part by the way!!

Thanks!

Always great to hear from a fellow MLCadder!  Sorry our first meeting is about
annoying error messages.

I don't want to jump to any conclusions since I'm not sure exactly what you
meant by "installation", but it sounds like maybe you didn't split the .mpd
file.

Not knowing your experience level, I'll try to keep it simple.  If I sound
condescending, I apologize.  Here goes:

1.   When you first download the file, it shows up on your hard drive as
a .cgi file.  Right so far?

2.   To properly install an .mpd file (such as the UCS X-wing canopy file I
uploaded), you first have to 'split' it into its component .dat files.  There
are two ways I know to do this:

     A.   Use the .mpd splitter program available at:

               www.ldraw.org/download/software/

                            -OR-

     B.   The hard way.  Unfortunately, this is still the way I do it:

Open the .cgi file in MLCad.  To do this, you may have to select "All Files"
On the drop-down menu just to be able to SEE the .cgi file,
then select and open it.

Keep in mind that although the file extension shown is .cgi, this is an .mpd
file.  You could save it in models (or anywhere, for that matter) as
an .mpd file right then and there.  If, however, you want to use both the
naked windscreen and the decorated one as parts for use in models (gosh, I
sure hope so!), then you must separate the individual .dat files.

First, you should make sure you can see the name of the active .dat file at
the top of the text window; if you can't, drag the display window down
out of the way.  Once you see a .dat filename listed click the arrow on the
right hand side of it for a drop-down menu.  In the case of the UCS part, you
should see three files (and a fourth when you click on the down arrow on the
right hand side to scroll down).  They should, in this case, be:

     *     30497UCS.dat
     *     UCSdet01.dat
     *     UCSdet02.dat
     *     30497.dat

although not necessarily in that order.  After verifying all those files made
it to you from the download, click on "multipart" at the top of the window.
One of the choices on the drop-down menu should be "Remove Model".  This is
the one you want.  Click it.

Now, you will be given a choice of which model to remove.  Although it really
doesn't matter which one you do first, say for the sake of argument you remove
UCSdet01.dat;  you should get a warning from MLCad (great software, isn't
it?), stating that other models are referencing the one you're about to
remove.  That's alright.  Do it anyway.

Now you are probably looking at the UCS X-wing canopy with a couple of tiny
holes in it, at the front.  Now click Multipart/Remove Model again.  This time
you only get three .dats to choose from.  For this example, let's say you
remove UCSdet02.dat next, ignoring the MLCad warning again, and then you
remove 30497.dat (no warning this time:  this is a completely separate part,
and not referenced by 30497UCS.dat).  At this point, or after you "refresh"
the display by dragging a window frame a few pixels or so, the "active" .dat
file-name area should go dark (gray instead of white) to indicate the change
in status from .mpd to .dat file.  Now all that's left to do is click on
File/Save As and, in this case, save it as 30497UCS.dat into the LDRAW/PARTS
directory.

Now you must reopen "Ldraw.cgi" from whatever directory you downloaded it to,
and then go through the process again.  This time, however, deleting all but
UCSdet01.dat, next time all but UCSdet02.dat, and finally all but 30497.dat.

Simple, huh?

Makes you want to download the .mpd splitter, doesn't it?

Me, too, now that I think of it!

Anyway, if this helps you, great!  If it doesn't, either because you use a
different method, I'm no good at explaining things, or you fell asleep several
times trying to read this...  Sorry. Please reply and clarify what method
you're using to install parts, and I'll try it again.  Or maybe someone else
can help you better than I can.  It wouldn't be the first time.

Thanks to anyone with the patience to read this posting!

Tim Romine
AFOL for Life
enimor@earthlink.net