 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 1217
Re: New Part: 6572 Steering Knuckle Arm w/ Towball
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 18:57:43 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Fredrik Glöckner wrote:

When it comes to the orientation, though, you will notice that most
long things span the X-axis.  For example the Technic beams, poles and
so on.  So in my opinion, these parts should span the X-axis.  And
your parts do already!  Wether they should point left or right I
really cannot answer since we have no similar parts already to look
at.  But whatever you choose, you should make sure that they both
point the same way!

But long parts oriented along the X-axis are usually symmetric -- like
bricks and beams.  Often, parts with one asymmetric axis (ie, parts with a
sense of 'front and back' or 'left and right' or even 'base and tip') are
oriented with the asymmetry laying along the Z-axis, with the 'base' or
'back' pointing toward +Z.

BTW, IMO, the Car Chassis parts oriented along the X-axis are mis-oriented.

This message is also a reply to
<http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dat/parts/?n=1216>, where Fredrik wrote:

Steve Bliss <blisses@worldnet.att.net> writes:

1. Rotate the part so the skids are lined up along the front/back axis (the
Z axis).

Are you sure about that?  It has always been my impression that "long"
things face the X direction in LDraw.  Take a look at the Car Bases,
for example, a majority of them span the X axis.  I can't see why the
helicopter base shouldn't.