 CAD / LDraw Files / Models / 2198
Re: Couple of queries with LDD exporting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.models
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2008 18:03:25 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.models, Tim David wrote:
I have exported one of the Hobby train models from LDD into LDraw format, and
done some tweaking on it, (missing parts and re-ordering for instructions)
I have tried to include all unofficial parts in the .mpd to make it properly
compatible with a basic Ldraw installation, but I seemed to have missed
something as I get 'part not found' errors on opening it in MLCad. However all
parts do seem to display. Is there anyway I finding out what is missing?

The MPD contains several references to a file called 'unknown'.  It looks like
most of these references were originally references to unofficial primitive
files, like 1-24edge.dat.  These 'unknown's occur in two subfiles - 553.dat
(which isn't used by the model, so it can be deleted), and 30663.dat (an
unofficial part).  If you open the MPD in a text editor, and replace the
contents of FILE 30663.dat with the contents of the actual
c:\ldraw\parts\30663.dat, you'll be in better.  But if you want to create an MPD
which can truly be used with a plain-vanilla LDraw installation, you'll need to
hunt down those unofficial primitive files, and include them in the MPD.

The other issue seems to be be to do with the way the export works.
All the parts ended up being placed slightly off the 'grid', i.e. with
positional values with odd 100ths and 1000ths of an LDU off a whole number, I
have managed to fix this, but the rotational vaues also seem strange, when
viewed in MLCad they are OK but when the file is viewed in the text, it show
some of the rotation values as numbers like -9.70801e-005. (probably best to
view the file to see what I mean) Is there any way to correct this?

I'd say you could run it through an LDraw code compactor, but the only compactor
I know of (in LDraw Add-On) chokes on this file.  It seems like there was at
least one other code compactor utility, but I don't remember what it is.  Maybe
a little research would turn one up?

Steve