 CAD / LDraw Files / Models / 1803
Re: Modeling an entire City
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.models
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 22:15:50 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.models, David Carriker writes:
Does anyone have any tips on doing really large models?  I am trying to
build a city.  I have several buildings built, but when I start adding roads
and the separate buildings to the scene, MLCAD bogs down.  Even when I turn
stud rendering off and go to only one view it still takes a lot of processor
time to add sections and move them to the correct location.

MLCAD is a very powerful program, 100% LDraw compatible but not the fastest
alternative. When making buildings, I recommend BlockCAD. (I still use
SimLego sometimes, but that's just for sentimental reasons or when I'm at my
parents' house using a 486sx25 running on Win3.1).

Make the buildings in separate files and a town.ldr file with references to
the sub-model files. Don't even think of viewing the town MLCAD. Use in
L3Lab or LDView, set the viewer to silently poll for changes, make fine
adjustments in Notepad or LDDesignPad.

I only have an 586, 400 mhz, but I wonder if there are any other things that
could help.

Is there a way to substitue faster to draw cubes or squares for pieces?  For
instance, I can switch stud rendering to draw a single line instead.  Is
there a way I can substitue a building in my city for a cube that represents
the size of the building?  And if there is a way, is there an easy way to
switch it back to draw the buildings themselves when I want to create some
images?

Yes, but not officially yet. I have made a library with 68 box substitutes
and a semi-automatic beta-beta utility to support the desicitions on what
parts can be replaced. The main purpose for that project is not to model
more smoothly, but rather speed up POV renderings.

Has anyone ever even modelled something this big into one file?

Ever heard of Datsville? :o)

Thanks in advance for any help,
David

/Tore