 CAD / LDraw Files / Models / 1802
Re: Modeling an entire City
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.models
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 19:56:35 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.models, David Carriker writes:
Does anyone have any tips on doing really large models?  I am trying to
build a city.  I have several buildings built, but when I start adding roads
and the separate buildings to the scene, MLCAD bogs down.  Even when I turn
stud rendering off and go to only one view it still takes a lot of processor
time to add sections and move them to the correct location.

I only have an 586, 400 mhz, but I wonder if there are any other things that
could help.

Is there a way to substitue faster to draw cubes or squares for pieces?  For
instance, I can switch stud rendering to draw a single line instead.  Is
there a way I can substitue a building in my city for a cube that represents
the size of the building?  And if there is a way, is there an easy way to
switch it back to draw the buildings themselves when I want to create some
images?

Has anyone ever even modelled something this big into one file?

Thanks in advance for any help,
David

My recommendation is to use NOTEPAD or another text editor.

1. Use MLCAD to make all your buildings, each in it's own file.
(eg. building1.ldr, b2.ldr, b3.ldr)
Make sure all the buildings are say on a 32x32 baseplate per bulding.

2. Use MLCAD to import 2 buildings and your road.  svae the file as city.ldr
3. Not open the file in a text editor and based on the values that you got
start typeing in the rest of the buildings and road using the opened MLCAD
file as a refences so that you can see where the coordinates go.

MLCAD cannot handle huge files because it starts to get bouged down.  So the
best way to go is via a text file.
-AHui