 CAD / 9159
Re: Gateway patent using Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 16:04:13 GMT

If I am reading this correct, they are trying to steal Ldraw right from
under our noses. I am most definitely very worried about this.

Please take note that the LCD (Ldraw connection database) is probably a
better example of prior art than Ldraw by itself, as these guys do claim
(again, if I understand correctly) a system that takes into account
"connections", not simply pre-made elements.

Another interesting aspect is that they are either incredibly bold or they
are missing one huge issue: the patents for the parts themselves. Some of
the Lego part patents have indeed expired, but many are not. In their
exhubrance, they claim their system is good for just about any toy brand
that can be put together.

This is all extremely fishy!