 CAD / 9096
Re: Ropes, Flex Tubes, Rubber Bands, et. al.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 15:35:28 GMT

Hi Shaun,
  I have written a program called lsynth, which does many bendable things
like: flex-system hoses, pneumatic hoses, flexibe axles, ribbed hose,
electric and fiber optic cables.

  The program is called LSynth and is available
http://www.users.qwest.net/~kclague.

  I'm also working on a release of a new version that supports rubber bands
with any number of pulleys, where pulleys can be inside or outside the band,
and bands can cross.  Its current mode really only supports bands as belts
that are planar.  It does not support bands that bend from one plane to
another, and it does not support bands that wrap around beams and such.

  The "band as a belt" algorithm also works with LEGO chain, plastic tread
and rubber tread.

  Detailed explanation of how to use this is in a book that Miguel Agullo
and I wrote: http://www.syngress.com/catalog/sg_main.cfm?pid=2400 which is
available directly from Syngress or from Amazon.

  The biggest issue with lsynth is that it can produce *huge* synthesized
dat files.  I need to add multiple quality level supports so that the file
size gets reduced.  This is a *hot* topic for me as I've developed a
pneumatic adding/subtracting machine that uses lots of pneumatic hoses and
rubber bands.  The synthesized DAT size is over 16Mb :^(  L3P and POV-Ray do
quite well, but my building instruction generator processes it very slowly
(another issue I need to work on.)

Kevin

In lugnet.cad, Shaun Sullivan writes:
Hi All,

I've been working diligently on LDrawing my Hudson 4-6-4 Steam Engine
(http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=217947), and am finally
running up against the seemingly impossible:

Is there a way to modify pieces so that they bend and curve?  So far, I've
replaced bent flex-tubing with the hose-segments, which is a pretty good
simulation (although the texture isn't quite right).  The real trick now is how
to simulate string, or rubber bands, or the like.  Are there any suggestions
for how one can customize the pieces appropriately?  Or, alternatively, is
there a means of ?drawing in? such pieces in an LDRAW-Compatible fashion?  As
you can see, there are a number of places in which making some sort of a
representation of curved pieces would really add to the overall effect ...

Any help, tutorials, or ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks in
advance ...

Shaun