 CAD / 8903
Re: A Portable Modeling CD for Holiday Travels?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 15:11:07 GMT

Shaun,
Not sure if this will help you or not, but there is an old dos command
named SUBST, which will substitute a drive letter and path for another.

For instance you could type Subst L: D:\ and that will create an L drive
on your system that refers to the actual drive and path D:\.

Then Subst L: /D  will remove it.

So, what that possibly means is that you could set up your CD to work
off of a hard coded letter, ( like L for LDraw ?) and as long as the
machines that you want to use it on do not have that drive allocated
already, you can SUBST and make the drive available, making it point to
whatever letter is the actual CD drive.

Of course if your CD drives are M and N, then you may want to make your
mapped letter higher, as long as the target machines aren't on a
network, and mapping the drives already.

No guarantees, as this just popped into my head.  Good luck.
-Andy Lynch