 CAD / 8902
8901  |  8903
Subject:
A Portable Modeling CD for Holiday Travels?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 14:50:49 GMT

All right,

I may be in way over my head here, but here goes anyway:

Firstly, let me give you an idea of what we're up against.  I'm certainly
computer literate, maybe even computer handy.  I am not, however, a computer
guru.  Speak slow, give examples, and be gentle, that's all I'm saying.

Is it possible to install an entire suite of LDraw and POVRay utilities on a
single CD, which can then be transported between various computers as I traipse
all around the Northeast for the holidays?  Specifically, I would like to
include:

LDraw
Complete Parts Library
MLCad
L3P
L3Pao
LGeo
POVRay

Of course, models and creations would have to be saved on a floppy, or e-mailed
between locations.  I'm just hoping to avoid having to install the whole slieu
everywhere I go.

My main concerns stem from the following:

(1) drive letters on various computers; on my computer, the CD drives are m:
and n:.  I don't know what they are on family members' computers.  I need to
ensure that the file and directory references relate to the local hierarchy,
and not the actual drive letter.  That is, I want MLCad to look for the parts
in \.\LDRAW (the single dot is local directory, isn't it?), and not m:\LDRAW,
which would produce an error if the CD drive is not m:

(2) POVRay - is it possible to change the Render Settings (command line option)
on the c: drive, indicating something like "+L\.\Lego\LGEO", instead of
"+LC:\LEGO\LGeop", and then copy the whole program over to the CD?  Or once I
write to the CD, but before I eject it, can I run POVRay on the CD, and make
that change locally?  I know information on a CD can't be overwritten, and
that's where I'm wondering what would happen in that case.

Am I wandering around in a daze, thinking that this single LDraw-suite CD is
even feasible?  Most of the programs seem as if they could be installed easily
enough as long as they didn't require the drive letter, and instead could
navigate from the current directory through the hierarchy.  How does one
install the programs so that this is the case?

Does this even make any sense?  Can anyone walk me through how to make this
happen?

HELP!  I'm hoping to pull this off tonight, as we're heading out to relatives
tomorrow right after work.  Any assistance would be greatly, greatly, greatly
appreciated!

Thanks,
Shaun