 CAD / 820
819  |  821
Subject:
3DSMAX ASCII to .DAT converter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 06:00:56 GMT

tonight i've started work on a method of converting 3DSMAX models into .DAT
files... there is a freeware plugin for MAX 1.x that outputs your model into a
very clean, parsable text file... i'm hacking some VB code right now to piece
this ASCII file apart and turn it into a .DAT... for anyone with access to MAX
this could be a GREAT tool... modeling with something like MAX is entirely
different than having to hack things together in a text editor or in Excel
spreadsheets... i built the technic engine block, small technic spring and
other intricate technic parts in MAX, but had to manually cut and paste the
ASCII output information into LDraw format... hopefully i can make life a
little easier for some of us...

just an update... (this DOES all pertain to me getting that large technic shock
done, terry!... ;)

(btw, anyone wanting a copy of the ASCII export plugin for 3DSMAX, just mail
me and i'll shoot it to you.. i can't find the URL where i got it orginally)