 CAD / 7915
7914  |  7916
Subject:
Eyeballing It
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 11 May 2002 02:16:05 GMT

Hey Y'all:

No, it's nothing prurient or otherwise disgusting -- I just want to know how
y'all calculate certain coordinate points in parts authoring, or rather how
ya don't.  T. Hafner was good enough to place into my hands a very well
commented DAT file and after examining it and many other files, subfiles,
and primitives I think I have realized one very important thing:  when in
doubt, eyeball it, right?  I mean, even the main unit of measurement is an
uncertain thing -- such that 1 LDU is only "approximately" equal to 1/64 of
an inch or .4 mm.  And clearly certain liberties have been taken in
converting real world curves into virtual facets.  Heck, some parts are so
far from precise that they are complained of openly (minifig arms come to
mind here).

So the final secret in parts authoring is:
Whereas some point are easy to calculate and set certain, when in doubt just
eyeball it.

Right?

BTW, I do really need an answer because I am taking baby steps towards
writing a parts authoring set of tutorials.  Never fear, I am trying to
tackle only the easy stuff -- printed elements mainly.

-- Hop-Frog