 CAD / 7786
Re: A quick question I need an answer about...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 19:47:14 GMT

"Eduardo Vazquez Harte" <eduvazhar@terra.es> skrev i meddelandet
I have a problem I made my museum model but it looks like datville "in • other
words impossible to render" can someone tell me why does it take long to • render
even that is a small model.

see it http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=15958

As others have told you, the clear pieces take 'forever' to render. What you
_can_ do, without changing the model, is changing the POVRay 'quality' level
(not to be confused with the L3P 'QUAL' setting).

You can test this by selecting 'Render', 'Edit Settings/Render' and enter
+Q7 in the 'Command line options:' box in POVRay.

Q7 means that POVRay doesn't render reflections and refractions, so it's
faster than the default (Q9), but, of course, not as beautiful. But to get a
first impression it's quite OK.

From the manual, with my example timings for a little 640x480 AA 0.3 scene:

0,1   - Just show quick colors. Use full ambient lighting only. (7s)
2,3   - Show specified diffuse and ambient light.
4     - Render shadows, but no extended lights.
5     - Render shadows, including extended lights.
6,7   - Compute texture patterns.                               (19s)
8     - Compute reflected, refracted, and transmitted rays.
9     - Compute media (Default setting)                         (44s)
10    - Compute radiosity but no media
11    - Compute radiosity and media

As a side note, I usually use a custom setting for my final pictures, I've
added the following to my QUICKRES.INI:

[800x600, AA 0.1, Adaptive]
Width=800
Height=600
Antialias=On
Antialias_Threshold=0.1
Antialias_Depth=3
Sampling_Method=2

Using this setting for the same scene takes 2 minutes 44 seconds! but the
picture quality is worth it IMO.

Hope this helps,
--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden