 CAD / 7643
Re: Help with MLCad
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 07:53:44 GMT

Ahui, can I add or suggest a couple of changes to this. I've put them inline
where they're appropriate. I've written them as detailed as I think they'd
need to be for a new user - I know you don't need help with this, but it
might help out Pat.

Dan

"Ahui Herrera" <jedi_agh@yahoo.com> wrote in message

4. Double click on the complete.exe and again a DOS window will appear
scrolling a LOF of text real fast.  This is installing additional LDRAW
Parts that have been created since the 1st release.

At this point you may get a number of questions asking if you want to
replace files. You need to answer Yes (press the Y key) to every one as they
are files that have been updated since the original LDraw release. You can
also open a command prompt (on Win9x go to Start -> Programs -> DOS Prompt,
on WinNT go to Start -> Programs -> Command Prompt, and on WinME/Win2K/WinXP
go to Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt) and then type "cd
\" without the quotes and press Enter to get to the root of drive C:, and
then type "complete -y" without the quotes and press Enter to install the
parts files and have the installer automatically overwrite files when it
finds them. For complete.exe this may not make much difference (I can't
remember how many original parts have been replaced), but for part updates
in the future this is recommended as you will often get part updates that
include fixes or point to new part files where the number has changed.

Okay techincally we are done.  But we need to do 1 last thing.  Everytime
you install new parts into your LDraw library (either via an offical parts
update or by getting unoffical parts) you need to RECEATE a LDraw Lib • Parts
file.  How is this done?  Simplly by running the MKLIST.exe program.

9. Located the MKLISt.exe file in your C:\Ldraw\ folder
10. When you double-click on it a DOS window will appear asking how to • sort
the parts.  Type the letter [D] for description.  The application will • start
ticking off numbers until it's done.

I'm not sure if it's my PC, but I've always had trouble with MKLIST.EXE. An
alternative is to wait until you've installed MLCad and then when you run it
for the first time and get past step 12 in your explanation you can go to
the File menu and choose Scan Parts - this does exactly the same as
MKLIST.EXE, updating the parts list file so that LDraw and MLCad (and any
other program you install that uses the LDraw parts) know which part files
you have installed and where the files are. Every time you install any new
parts (eg, run a parts update file, copy parts someone has sent you into
LDRAW\PARTS, etc) you need to update the parts list using either MKLIST.EXE
or the Scan Parts option in MLCad.

That's it. Ahui's explanation was really good - I could have done with it
when I first started out with LDraw and MLCad as it took me a little to get
everything in the right place, but once it's up and running it's simple and
fun to use. Good luck Pat, hope to see some models from you in the near
future :)

Dan