 CAD / 7642
Re: Help with MLCad
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 03:26:40 GMT

Hello Pat,

I'm the LDraw Help Desk Coordinator. Let me give you a quick overview of
what LDraw is.  It is a 'CAD'-like program that allows you to create
brick-type models. The ONLY brick we ENDORSE is LEGO although the piece
format can be used for any other type of brick (MEGA Block, Block-it, etc).
WE don't, however, SUPPORT OR ENDORSE these other types of bricks and they
are NOT
part of our offical parts library.

Okay so how do you get LDraw?  Simplly download it for FREE from
http://www.ldraw.org/download/start/win/ (FOR WINDOWS)
http://www.ldraw.org (FOR OTHER OS)

Now LDraw is a series of various programs. At the basic level you need at
LEAST two things:
1. The original DOS-based Editor (LDRAW.exe now Ldraw027.exe)
2. The library of parts (complete.exe)

The library parts is the core of the program as it has over 1,200+ LEGO
pieces.  Note that NOT ALL LEGO pieces are currenlty available in the
library.  Our part authors creators are very hard at work trying to
document and create all the LEGO parts.  This is a very hard and daunting
task as LDRAW.ORG is a volunteer organization.  So be patience if the part
you are looking for it not in the library.  Check here to see if the part is
in the production phase:
http://www.ldraw.org/library/tracker/

Most poeple find it very hard to use the original editor (LDRAW.exe) since
it is a DOS based program. So several 3rd party editors are avaliable.
MLCAD is the most popular of these editors and is very easy to use if you
are comfortable using Windows.

3. Get a 3rd Part editor (MLCAD, LEOCAD, etc...)

LEOCAD has a very good minifig wizard creator that you might want to
download as well.  It will save you the headaches of trying to create a
minifig in MLCad.  So don't forget LEOCAD as well.

Now if you want to create 3D images of your models that you created in
LDraw.  Here is a set of exmaples.
http://jedi_agh.tripod.com/a_3D/3D.htm

You will need several more add-ons to LDraw.
4. L3P
5. L3PAO
6. POV-Ray

L3P is a DOS command-line program that takes your LDraw model file (.ldr)
and converts it into a POV-Ray file (.pov).  L3PAO is a Graphical Interface
to L3P
which makes it extremly easy to use L3P becuase it displays ALL the options
that L3P has with a buch of checks and drop-down menus in a windows type
program (NO need to 'see' DOS).  It can even automate the process of
creating your final rednered image in POV-Ray.  POV-Ray is the ONLY
non-Ldraw program of the bunch. It is used to create stunning 3D images of
anything.  Unfortunatly it is primary for coders and 3D graphic artist.  In
most cases, a LDraw user will NOT have much luck getting it to create
stunning images like this.
http://www.povray.org/
(Click on the Hall of Fame Link)

However, for the most part THESE images are OVERKILL as we just want a
simple 3D image of our model.  In any case you will need to download POV-Ray.
http://www.povray.org/
(Click on the download link)

Now you might be wondering how on earth do I install and run all these
programs?  Simple, see our tutorual section at
http://www.ldraw.org/reference/tutorials/
, e-mail the help desk, post to LUGENT.CAD, and MOST IMPORTANTLY FIRST READ
THE DOCUMENTATION OF EACH PROGRAM.

*********************
Okay now that I've gotten that little wonderful speach out of the way let me
give you some step-by-steps since those horrible README.txt files are not
doing you any good. =)  he,he,he...

1. DELETE everything LDRAW that you have installed your PC.  If you have any
models that you have saved to the /Ldraw/models folder please MOVE them
somewhere else for the time. Make sure you keep the 3 original downloaded files:
ldraw027.exe
complete.exe
mlcad.zip

2. Place the ldraw027.exe and complete.exe files in your c:\ folder

3. Double click on ldraw027.exe and a DOS window will appear scrolling a LOT
of text real fast.  This is installing the original LDRAW Parts Library and
the original LDraw Editor.

4. Double click on the complete.exe and again a DOS window will appear
scrolling a LOF of text real fast.  This is installing additional LDRAW
Parts that have been created since the 1st release.

5. Now open up the C:\Ldraw folder.

6. Create a new sub-folder in the C:\Ldraw folder and call it Apps.

7. In the C:\Ldraw\Apps\ folder create a new sub-folder and call it MLCAD

8. In the C:\Ldraw\Apps\MLCAD\ folder place the contents of the MLCAD.zip file

Okay techincally we are done.  But we need to do 1 last thing.  Everytime
you install new parts into your LDraw library (either via an offical parts
update or by getting unoffical parts) you need to RECEATE a LDraw Lib Parts
file.  How is this done?  Simplly by running the MKLIST.exe program.

9. Located the MKLISt.exe file in your C:\Ldraw\ folder
10. When you double-click on it a DOS window will appear asking how to sort
the parts.  Type the letter [D] for description.  The application will start
ticking off numbers until it's done.

11. Now you are done with the LDraw install.  Located the MLCad.exe file
(C:\Ldraw\Apps\MLCAD\MLCad.exe) and create a desktop shortcut for it.

12. Upon the first time you open up MLCAD it will ask if you want to
register the file type.  Say yes.  It will also ask you where the LDraw
parts are at.  A window will open asking you for the path.  Point it to C:\Ldraw

13. You are now done.  You can move your models back into the models folder
at this point.  Furthermore ALL other add-on programs should have their OWN
folder under the C:\Ldraw\Apps\ location.  This makes it easier to keep all
the LDraw programs together.

I hope this helps you out.  E-mail me if you need further help.

Ahui Herrera
LDraw Help Desk Coordinator