 CAD / 7513
Re: General question on ldr and mpd files ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 21:02:42 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad, Lars C. Hassing wrote:

MLCad, LDView, L3P/L3Lab fail to read you MPD: "d not found".
I don't think any program applies the search for d, d.dat, d.mpd, d.ldr
within the MPD, only in the file system...

Interesting.  I guess that's a valid way to process MPDs,  I was
expecting/hoping programs were a bit more flexible.

With the current situation, you can take a group of functioning LDR
files, convert them to MPD (using an MPD tool), and the MPD would not
render. :\

Well, actually LDView won't load the file whether or not it's in MPD format.
Given that LDView isn't designed to work from the command line (although you
CAN specify a filename on the command line), it doesn't contain any
auto-extension determining support.

Am I to understand the the orginal ldraw and ledit will check for .dat
versions of sub-models if you specify a filename without an extension inside
a model file?  If this is the case, then I guess I will update LDView
accordingly, but I personally feel that using filenames without extensions
inside a dat/ldr file is bad form.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)