 CAD / 7483
7482  |  7484
Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Re: General question on ldr and mpd files ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 21:47:14 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Michael Lachmann writes:
We agreed on having the ldr extension in the future. But there is one point
which is not clear for me:

Normaly there should be *.dat entries inside a mpd file. Will older software
work if I change the extension inside the mpd files? I would like to do so,
since the exported files receive that extension which is stored inside the
mpd.

Can we go on with ldr or do we have to stay with dat?

I'd hope any program would use the filename supplied.  So if you had an mpd
like this ...

0 FILE a.ldr
0 Main File
0 Name: a.ldr

1 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 b.ldr
1 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 c.dat
1 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 d

0 FILE b.ldr
0 B subfile
1 16 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 stud.dat

0 FILE c.dat
0 C subfile
1 16 0 24 0 6 0 0 0 -20 0 0 0 6 box5.dat

0 FILE d.ldr
4 16 10 24 10 6 24 6 -6 24 6 -10 24 10
4 16 -10 24 10 -6 24 6 -6 24 -6 -10 24 -10
4 16 -10 24 -10 -6 24 -6 6 24 -6 10 24 -10
4 16 10 24 -10 6 24 -6 6 24 6 10 24 10
1 16 0 24 0 10 0 0 0 -24 0 0 0 10 box5.dat

... everything should render without error (and you'd get a 3005 brick).

The 'c.dat' line would render correctly because the entire filename &
extension was supplied.  If the '.dat' wasn't supplied, the renderer would
go looking for 'c.ldr' instead, and probably fail (the renderer could also
look for 'c.dat', just to be nice).

Steve