 CAD / 7487
Re: Setting folder icons in Brickshelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 03:25:55 GMT

Every time you upload to a folder or use the 'reload command' in a folder,
the system selects the first file (not subfolder) thumbnail as the icon
for that folder.  If a folder contains only subfolders, you must upload
at least one image to the folder to have it set to something other than
the default.

The reason you cannot manually set the folder icon, is that being the
visual person I am, I want every folder icon to represent that actual
visual content contained in the folder.  That is why I strongly discourage
the use of shill images (first images specifically constructed to become
the folder icon).  Especially when the "shill" images contain nothing but
words.  Why would we want to see words that describe the contents, when
we could see a representative sample of the contents themselves?

Fortunately, most people don't even think about the folder icons, and
the natural first image is almost always a good representation of the folder
contents.  That's one of the things that makes the gallery so fun to
browse.  You're not surfing text, you're surfing pure imagery (it's
also much more efficient that way IMHO).

KL

In lugnet.cad, Michael Nelson writes:
I was curious as to how to set an image to replace the manilla folder icon
on Brickshelf?  I know how to change the personal gallery icon but I can't
find a button or link to change the folder ones.  Can anyone shed some light
on my situation.  Thanks in advance

Michael