 CAD / 7457
Re: Proposed LDraw Updater
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 17:05:00 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Carsten Schmitz writes:
<SNIP>
Ugh... please no VB. An updater should contain only an .EXE file without
need ing to install it. VB normally needs dll's or required vb*.dlls and
because of this an required installer that bundles all this. Deploying
software with VB is a pain in the butt. But thats another story ;).

Just an .exe file you start with a click would be nice. No installation
needed.
Imho should it only update the library. It could check for newer version of
3rd party tools, but i wouldn't agree to an update of 3rd party tools using
the installer.

What I meant was that the application would be coded in VB but the end
result would be a .exe file.  Now what you are misisng is the big picture of
where this installer will be.

Ldraw.org (myself spearheading it) is developing an installer that will
contain the LDraw parts, an editor (MLCAD), a Viewer (LDView), L3P, L3PAO,
and POV.  This installer will install all of the programs (POV will be a
separate installer).  We are doing this to help non-lego/non-computer people
get/use/learn about Ldraw and it's tools.  The programs above were choosen
for their ease of use by CHILDREN.  THIS CD INSTALLER IS TARGETED FOR SCHOOLS.

So when you get the CD it will have an LDraw installer.  The Installer will
run you thru a few menus (where to put the programs, do you want a desktop
icon, etc...) and then when it is all done you have the following:

A Shortcut in your Programs Folder called LDraw.  In it you have several icons:
MLCAD, LDView, L3PAO, LDraw Updater, and Unistall LDraw.  On the desktop you
have shortcuts to MLCAD, LDview, and L3PAO.

Do you see where this is going.  By having a grand updater that can check
for all of these it's much easier for non-lego/non-computer users to
continue to use LDRaw.  Once they are comfrotable enough using the 'basic
tools' they can download and use some of the more advance tools (SPRINT2DAT,
etc...)

we at LDRAW.org have been working towards this goal for a while now and have
gotten most of the pieces in place.  There are still some issues to resovle
both techincal and legal but it's comning along.

-AHui

Play well

Carsten