 CAD / 7435
Re: How to create an MPD FIle?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 15:37:47 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Ahui Herrera wrote:

Can someone tell me how to create a MPD file?  STep-by-Step... perhaps a
smal tutorial?

By hand?  Or with a program?  Do you want to create a new model, or
convert an existing multi-file model to a single MPD file?

AFAIK, there are two programs that can build MPD files.  One is
buildmpd.exe, by Jacob Sparre Andersen.  This is a command-line utility.

The other program is MLCAD.  I'm not really clear on how well MLCAD can
convert existing files to MPD, but it is very good for creating new MPD
models and working with existing MPD files.

If you want to convert an existing model by hand, it's pretty easy.

1. Compile a list of all the files in your model.
2. Open a text editor.
3. Type 0 FILE main.ldr, where main.ldr is the name of your main file.
4. Copy and paste the contents of main.ldr to the end of your document.
5. At the end of the document, type 0 FILE nextfile.ldr, where
nextfile.ldr is another file in your model.
6. Copy and paste the contents of nextfile.ldr to the end of your
document.
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 for the other files in your model.
8. Save your document as main.mpd, to match your main.ldr file.

The only trick or catch is the 0 FILE lines have to match the subfile
references (linetype 1 commands) exactly.  If you reference certain a
subfile with:
   1 16 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 subdir\subfile.ldr
then the 0 FILE line for subfile.ldr should read:
   0 FILE subdir\subfile.ldr.

Also, each file should be included in the MPD only one time.

Steve