 CAD / 664
Mildly offtopic: POV Height Fields
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 20:07:29 GMT

I know this is slightly off-topic but we don't have a lugnet.cad.rendering
(yet :-)

For rendering Lego models [1] I've been getting back into POV and I want to
create a planet surface for them to sit on.  The POV height_field primitive
looks good but I'm having trouble creating a image in the right format for
input. I've created the image I want in photoshop and I can save it as a 255
tone grayscale image which works OK but is not very smooth, I'd like to
create a 16bit grayscale PNG image which should improve matters a bit but
photoshop 4 can't seem to save in this format :(  Does anyone have any
suggestions?

If all else fails I can save as a 16bit grayscale in RAW format and write a
program to convett this into either a POV mesh or to the PNG format.  Does
anyone know where I can find the spec for writing PNG images?

Cheers
Tim

[1] See back on topic