 CAD / 678
Re: Mildly offtopic: POV Height Fields
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 02:05:23 GMT

Tim McSweeney wrote in message ...
Lee Jorgensen wrote in message <36B0F4C4.CFAAD57D@uswest.net>...
You could try Paint Shop Pro (5.01) from http://www.jasc.com
From my (really) quick trials, it seemed to be able to save 16-bit
PNG format.  (it had 16Million colors)

Yeah, I've got the fully paid for paintshop pro 5.0 as well. but tis • doesn't
support 16bit grayscale images, only 8bit,

I guess the real problem is with pov-ray, the input format for the height
field is a bit screwy.  from the pov ray help:

DOH DOH DOH DOH DOH DOH DOH DOH DOH DOH !

boy do I feel stupid, reading the help file again closely I see POV also
supports PGM (portable gray map)  I guess I didn't notice the subtle
difference between that and PNG  (yeah that sounds good, they'll beleive
that).  I'm not sure if Photoshop supports it (I'm at work right now) but
even if it doesn't paintshop pro allowed me to save one in ASCII format
which POV would read (woohoo)  and the Ascii format is pretty simple (bigger
woohoo)  and I can write a simple program to convert RAW output from
photoshop into PGM for POV (biggest woohoo)

Thanks to all
Tim