 CAD / 5672
    VB - parts and transformation matrices, Z-ordering, optional lines, bow-tied quads - help! —Daniel Crichton
   I've been messing with some VB code to read DAT files and draw them on the screen, and have been surprised at how quickly I managed to pull it together (esp. after spending some time poring over the LDraw FAQ trying to work out the transformation (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-01, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: VB - parts and transformation matrices, Z-ordering, optional lines, bow-tied quads - help! —Steve Bliss
     (...) Sounds like it's a problem in your code to handle type-1 lines. Could you post some images of the problem renders? (...) You can't completely sort polygons by z-order -- some polygons cross each other in z-depth. Are you using a z-buffer to (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-01, to lugnet.cad)

         Re: VB - parts and transformation matrices, Z-ordering, optional lines, bow-tied quads - help! —Don Heyse
      (...) ... (...) Once upon a time I attempted to describe the 3D (world coordinate) algorithm for this. Try this link. (URL) that helps. Otherwise, you can look at the ldglite source code if you don't mind C. It uses the 2D screen coordinate method (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-01, to lugnet.cad)

         Re: VB - parts and transformation matrices, Z-ordering, optional lines, bow-tied quads - help! —Daniel Crichton
     (...) Posted to (URL) . The problem I have is with the eyes - the front view looks fine, it's just the side and top views where you can see the problem. This is 3626bp01.dat (the one with the POV definitions included, I just ignored them). The funny (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-01, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: VB - parts and transformation matrices, Z-ordering, optional lines, bow-tied quads - help! —Rui Manuel Silva Martins
   (...) Another Viewer comming up. <:) (...) You are probably Pos-Multiplying the modeling Matrix, instead of Pre-Multiplying. I had that problem too ! (...) You could you the Painters Algorithm, but that is going to be slow, but prevents you from (...) (23 years ago, 27-Mar-01, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: VB - parts and transformation matrices, Z-ordering, optional lines, bow-tied quads - help! —Daniel Crichton
   (...) Maybe, maybe not - I'm trying to build something that will help me draw complicated patterns on existing parts, such as the Darth Maul pattern (75% done). (...) OK, you've lost me here - I just applied the matrix calculation as-is from the (...) (23 years ago, 27-Mar-01, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: VB - parts and transformation matrices, Z-ordering, optional lines, bow-tied quads - help! —Rui Manuel Silva Martins
   (...) Imagine you have Modeling Matrix M and another matrix A to multiply it by, like when you use command 1 (one, include of another .DAT file) And you want to keep the final Matrix as a New modelling Matrix (NM) so, you must be doing NM = M . A (...) (23 years ago, 27-Mar-01, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: VB - parts and transformation matrices, Z-ordering, optional lines, bow-tied quads - help! —Daniel Crichton
   Fixed it! When running the coords through the matrix I wasn't storing the new values in a separate array, so when it came to calculating the new Z coord on the 4-4ndis.dat and 4-4disc.dat parts I was using the translated X and Y coords in the calc (...) (23 years ago, 28-Mar-01, to lugnet.cad)