 CAD / 5606
Re: Windows 2000 and MIME Types
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 17:51:27 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:
Hey, does anybody (besides me) use ldglite on Windows 2000?
I tried to capture what Steve and Tim worked out on MIME type setup
in Win2K for the ldglite README.TXT but I could use some verification
that it works.  Is anyone willing to try this out for me?

It's kinda kludgy (from an app-design viewpoint), but you could include a
parameter on ldglite (like -reg) to apply the registration settings.  That
way, users don't have to worry about pathing, and you don't have to worry
about documenting the pathing stuff for users.

I suppose I could do that, but I already feel a bit guilty about adding
the non-portable code to read the base directory from the ldraw.ini file.
I'd feel even worse about bloating ldglite with one time use windows only
code to fatten up the registry.

To make it dead simple, you could include a regme.bat file with the
appropriate command.

The problem with this is you have to get the path to the ldglite (or whatever
LCAD file viewer) and any command line arguments into the batch file.  Plus
I suspect you need to do different things in the registry depending on the
particular Windows version.  That makes for a pretty ugly batch file.

This has been discussed before, but what would be really nice is a GUI tool
to manage the registration stuff for DAT, MPD, LDS (LDScript), LDL (LDLite)
and LeoCAD files.  I tend to use several different tools, and I hate it
when one tool overwrites the settings from a different tool.  Hmm, this
sounds like something LDAO should handle...

Yeah, this is where I'd like to go with this.  Are there any standards in
place that everyone conforms to?  The ldraw.ini file seems to be in use
by several programs.  How about the registry settings?  For instance, for
ldglite I register the .dat extension as an "ldlite.Document" because I
want to maintain compatibility with ldlite.  Then the "ldlite.Document"
registry key contains the file open command.  See below.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.dat]
@="ldlite.Document"
"Content Type"="application/x-ldraw"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ldlite.Document\shell\open\command]
@="C:\\projects\\ldglite\\ldglite.exe -l3 -v3 \"%1\""

At this point, I can't remember if I originally created the "ldlite.Document"
by hand, or with explorer, or if ldlite made it for me.  It seems to me that
this should be "lcad.Document" but I'm a bit nervous about changing it since
I don't want to break anything.  How do other windows programs handle the
.dat key?  Do any of them take over the other keys?  I seem to already have
.mpd in use by some microsoft program.

Anyhow, a standalone GUI tool to handle the registry and the ldraw.ini file
would be great.  If you want to create it, I'll point to it from the Windows
section of the ldglite page.  ;^)

Have fun,
Don