 CAD / 5404
Re: Windows 2000 and MIME Types?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 15:52:02 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tim Courtney writes:
I finally decided to update my MIME types for DAT files on my computer - and I
can't seem to get to the MIME type setting in Windows 2000.  Anyone know how to
set the mime type to application/x-ldraw?  I can't even tell if that is set on
there or not.

I just installed Win2K, and here's what I did:

First, I ran L3Lab, and did "File | Register File Types | .dat and .mpd".

I believe doing this will tell Windows what to do when it gets a file with
extension .dat (and .mpd).  That's great, but some sites seem to serve DAT
content without an extension, so the client (that's you) has to rely
entirely on the mime-encoding information provided by the server.

So, I then ran RegEdit.  First, I found the entry for .dat--created, I
guess, by L3Lab registering the file types.  Looking at other extension
entries, I figured the .dat key needed a new string value, "Content Type",
with data "application/x-ldraw".  So I set that up.

Poking around, I eventually found the key
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/MIME/Database/Content Type.  This was the mother-lode.
Under this key, I created a key for application/x-ldraw.

Finally, under the application/x-ldraw key, I created a string value
"Extension", with data ".dat".

To summarize, I added the following keyed-value-data-whatsits to the Registry:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
   .dat
      Content Type = 'application/x-ldraw'
   MIME
      Database
         Content Type
            application/x-ldraw
               Extension = '.dat'

Sorry I don't have any fancy graphics to indicate which lines are keys and
which are values.

Steve