 CAD / 5464
Re: Let's be realistc (WasRe:MoreVenomAnyone? (WasRe:Givethemabreak (was:Hey,like,isanyonethere?)))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 19:20:21 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse writes:
In lugnet.cad, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.general, Don Heyse writes:
In lugnet.general, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
For instance: A year ago, I wish Brad had flat out said:

"We're building a tool to accept uploading of the thousands of
models you've all built in the .dat file format. You will buy
loads of bricks from our new LD sales site and all your hot
models will make us look super to the surfing public and our
bosses. We'll even reveal our new hybrid file format so you folks
will build modeling apps. (We know you'd prefer to run community
made software.)" Blah, blah, blah..

So is that what the "CAD summit" is all about?  I too wish they would
just come out and say it.  Everyone on the lugnet.cad groups seem to
have been censored by NDAs.  I was planning to add a large format tiled
rendering option to ldglite this weekend, but with all the mystery I
just couldn't find the motivation.  Who wants to sweat over something
that's about to be obsoleted?

Given the history of these NDAs, I suspect it'll be months before any
of the details are revealed.  I just hope I don't lose all motivation
by then.

Don -
Take heart.  I can understand that the mystery has got to be causing
anxiety, but we also feel anxiety after knowing this info and not being able
to tell it.  But we see the greater picture of why.

Anyways, keep making improvements to your projects, I don't believe anything
will be obsoleted.  We still need to advance DAT utilities, and discussed a
LOT of that at the LDraw.org meeting last night and at dinner.

Easy for you to say, you're in the know.  Let me relate a similar
story.  The local airport wants to pave a new highway connecting
Enfield (coincidence?) to them.  One of many possible routes leaves me
tractor trailer trucks flying through what used to be my backyard.  It
could be months before they release any more information on their
plans.  Meanwhile I'm completely in the dark.  These NDAs leave me
with a similar (albeit much lesser) vague sense of impending doom.

I was one of the programmers invited to participate in the summit. I don't
know of anything coming up that would make any of our software obsolete
overnight. TLC is not tearing up your neighborhood--they don't have Darth
Vader powers. We can go on developing with LDRAW. Perhaps those who attended
the summit have gotten more organized about that too. I know I am excited
about continuing my own goals.

I'll speak only for myself, but I suppose to some larger or smaller degree
this is common: I got a lot of ideas for developing my own software from the
other programmers there. My reasons for developing it are still rooted in
projects I want to build (also to champion the cause of Mac software.)  I
got excited about continuing my development regardless of what TLC does.

I think those who met face-to-face will be able to cooperate better (mostly
we work in isolation now.)  Apart from sessions with TLC, there was a lot of
LDRAW techie discussion on ways to go in the future. Really a continuation
of discussions made here on LUGNET.

Now we're back. First we might put some new life into old threads on
cad.dev. Then try to work together on important efforts: enhancements to the
parts library, upgrading websites, web-based updaters for parts and other
CGI, getting things documented. Many other important goals were discussed--I
think Tim will elaborate when he gets a chance. We didn't really talk about
*sharing a common application codebase*, as Leo has occasionally suggested
we do, but that's still one desirable goal.

When I have had a chance to sleep good, I will try to talk about some
specific things LDRAW techies could undertake.

-Erik