 CAD / 5461
Re: Let's be realistc (WasRe:MoreVenomAnyone? (WasRe:Givethemabreak (was:Hey,like,isanyonethere?)))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 17:23:36 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.general, Don Heyse writes:
In lugnet.general, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
For instance: A year ago, I wish Brad had flat out said:

"We're building a tool to accept uploading of the thousands of
models you've all built in the .dat file format. You will buy
loads of bricks from our new LD sales site and all your hot
models will make us look super to the surfing public and our
bosses. We'll even reveal our new hybrid file format so you folks
will build modeling apps. (We know you'd prefer to run community
made software.)" Blah, blah, blah..

So is that what the "CAD summit" is all about?  I too wish they would
just come out and say it.  Everyone on the lugnet.cad groups seem to
have been censored by NDAs.  I was planning to add a large format tiled
rendering option to ldglite this weekend, but with all the mystery I
just couldn't find the motivation.  Who wants to sweat over something
that's about to be obsoleted?

Given the history of these NDAs, I suspect it'll be months before any
of the details are revealed.  I just hope I don't lose all motivation
by then.

Don -
Take heart.  I can understand that the mystery has got to be causing
anxiety, but we also feel anxiety after knowing this info and not being able
to tell it.  But we see the greater picture of why.

Anyways, keep making improvements to your projects, I don't believe anything
will be obsoleted.  We still need to advance DAT utilities, and discussed a
LOT of that at the LDraw.org meeting last night and at dinner.

Easy for you to say, you're in the know.  Let me relate a similar
story.  The local airport wants to pave a new highway connecting
Enfield (coincidence?) to them.  One of many possible routes leaves me
tractor trailer trucks flying through what used to be my backyard.  It
could be months before they release any more information on their
plans.  Meanwhile I'm completely in the dark.  These NDAs leave me
with a similar (albeit much lesser) vague sense of impending doom.