 CAD / 5333
Re: .dat files for legos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 16:20:33 GMT

"Ahui Herrera" <jedi_agh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:G7Kn7w.6rn@lugnet.com...
Does anyone know if there is a place either on lugnet or the web where the
building instructions (in .dat format) for all or most of the lego sets that
lego has made and we have on the lugnet set search are?  Has anyone
undertaken this project?

Thanks

ps.
I know that the building instructions for lego sets are somewhere on the
WWW.  But these insctruions are scans of the original books. What I'm
talking about are electrical version of these.

Ahui -

LDraw.org has slated an 'Official Model Repository' for this purpose.  The
specifications for creating these files have been defined in past discussion and
you can read about them from:

http://www.ldraw.org/repository/

Its waiting on a decision for the best method of storing and indexing the models
in an automated format - and someone to potentially program a database to serve
up the index pages and DAT content.  I believe that lugnet.cad.dat.models.sets
is the official place to submit models - IIRC, Todd put provisions in the
group's charter that the LDraw.org website retains rights to use these sets
posted in the OMR - Todd??

Anyways, if you would like to contribute to the organization of the OMR, it
would be appreciated.  My focus right now is getting the Reference and MLCad
resources going (something will happen to mlcad.ldraw.org soon!), so I can't
spend much time thinking about the OMR.

Thanks for asking...
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com