 CAD / 5100
Re: need help with modeling 8860 steering
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 15:56:12 GMT

"Bram Lambrecht" <bram@cwru.edu> wrote in message
Coby Bassett writes:
   I am trying to model the 8860 Auto Chassis Expert Builder set (in
POV-Ray) and am baffled by how to get its steering system right. Check • out
the front of the car in these pictures from the building
instructions to see the section I'm referring to:
   http://brickshelf.com/scans/8000/8860/8860-14.html
   http://brickshelf.com/scans/8000/8860/8860-15.html
   http://brickshelf.com/scans/8000/8860/8860-16.html

Does this little illustration help any?
http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=23723
(B is the rack turntable)
If you know the displacement of the steering rack, it shouldn't be too
difficult to calculate length c.  However, I haven't thought a whole lot
about how the interior angles of the triangle relate to the rotation of • the
component parts.  I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader :P

Nicely done!  Just last week I had to look up the Law of Cosines to
position some technic beams.

The "exercise" is a simple matter of considering the right triangle ABD
(where AB is the hypotenuse--either of the two possible right triangles
will work).  If you use the triangle ABD where D is to the upper left
corner in Bram's diagram, then angle A of this triangle will be
acos(sideAD/sideAB).  Then just add that to the Angle A you found using
the Law of Cosines.

If only I had grasped 15 years ago the value of trigonometry for
positioning virtual Lego--I'm sure my grades would have been better :-)

-John Van