 CAD / 5099
RE: need help with modeling 8860 steering
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 19:21:58 GMT

Coby Bassett writes:
   I am trying to model the 8860 Auto Chassis Expert Builder set (in
POV-Ray) and am baffled by how to get its steering system right. Check out
the front of the car in these pictures from the building
instructions to see the section I'm referring to:
   http://brickshelf.com/scans/8000/8860/8860-14.html
   http://brickshelf.com/scans/8000/8860/8860-15.html
   http://brickshelf.com/scans/8000/8860/8860-16.html

Does this little illustration help any?
http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=23723
(B is the rack turntable)
If you know the displacement of the steering rack, it shouldn't be too
difficult to calculate length c.  However, I haven't thought a whole lot
about how the interior angles of the triangle relate to the rotation of the
component parts.  I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader :P

Are you going to make an animation or do you just want to set the steering
at some angle perfectly?
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht
bram@cwru.edu