 CAD / 4612
Re: Tubing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 10:47:39 GMT

Travis Dickinson <sivar@bellsouth.net> writes:

Can anyone tell me how to generate in LEdit or POV-Ray the tubing
found in the Hydronauts set #6150?

This one is somewhat tricky.  Not only is the tube curved -- it is
also somewhat "fatter" in the ends, because it is put onto some thin
cylindrical elements.

If you overlook the "fat" ends, you can use a tool I've made to model
a curved hose in LDraw:

    http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/technic/ldraw-mode/#bezier

Note that the elements needed to make a bent flexible Technic
Flex-System Hose are still unofficial.  They are in the current vote.

The Technic Flex-System Hoses are probably not quite like the tubing
in your set, but I guess that they are still mostly the same.

It is probably just as easy to model the hoses in POV-Ray directly.  I
haven't done something like this myself, but I seem to remember that
POV-Ray has support for Bézier curves.  I've found the POV-Ray manual
to be a good source of information but I know that other people
disagree.

If you are going to model the tube in POV-Ray, you may want to
disregard the interior of the tube and simply model it as bent 12LDU
thick cylinder.

Fredrik