 CAD / 4564
Re: HELP !!! Rotating a cylinder
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 13:49:31 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Dennis Osborn wrote:

Hi all.  I am modeling the torso of the skeleton and I need help in rotating a
cylinder to an exact position. The cylinder is part of the ball-joint.  See
photo at http://www.student.ipfw.edu/~osbodr01/torso.jpg

I use MLCad for view the file I write in notepad.  But I can not position the
cylinder exactly flush to the plane to the sphere.  Can anyone help me?

First question: do you know your angle of rotation?  If you don't know the
angle, it's going to be very hard to get the right fit.

Answer #1: If you've got LDraw Add-On, use the rotation tools in the LDAO
Editor.  They are very similar to the rotation tools in LEdit, except you
aren't limited to only .1 degree increments.

Answer #2: Use the rotation tools in MLCad.

Answer #3: I'm not sure about MLCad, but if you use L3Lab to view the
file[1], you can use LDLite extension commands.  One of these commands is
to rotate objects by a specific angle around a specific vector.  Like this:

  <DAT commands>
0 ROTATE END

In your case, you need to rotate around the Z-axis, so you could do
something like:

0 ROTATE <angle> 0 0 -1
  <cylinder>
0 ROTATE END

You'd also need to wrap a set of 0 TRANSLATE commands around this code, to
move the cylinder from the origina to the proper location.

The main drawback to this approach is you have to translate it to regular
DAT code at some time.  The only tools I know about that convert LDL to DAT
are LDLite and LDraw Add-On.  Unfortunately, the conversion option in
LDLite is currently broken, and LDAO is not currently available for new
downloaders.

--
Steve

1)  I recommend L3Lab to anyone writing DAT files in Notepad.  You can have
you text editor and L3Lab open at the same time.  Turn on L3Lab's silent
polling, and whenever you save your file, L3Lab re-renders the file.