 CAD / 4490
Re: *** LDView v0.6.4 Released ***
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 05:15:53 GMT

"Mouser X" <mouser_x@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:FzFBnM.wH@lugnet.com...
A suggestion.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE allow fullscreen mode in the next
release.  My 3D card won't support windowed mode AT ALL!!!  It will • however
support fullscreen mode.  Also, allow the option of a different • resolution.
The lower the resolution, the better the frame rate.  At the time, all I • care
for is frame rate.  I'm sure I could get better frames if it ran in full
screen mode, but it could do even better if I could change the resolution.
Please implement these as soon as possible.  Mouser X over and out.

The next version I release will contain full-screen support.  However, it is
unknown whether or not will work properly with your video card.
Unfortunately, doing full-screen support "right" is very difficult, as
different video cards react in wildy varying ways to slight variations in
implementation.

Given that no one responded to my post of the full-screen test, the only
thing I know with any degree of certainty is that it will most likely work
correctly in Windows 98 with all nVidia video cards that have a TNT or
better chip and up-to-date drivers.  (My development machine has a TNT and
runs Windows 98, and all nVidia chips since the TNT use a unified driver.)

Unfortunately, 3dfx-based cards are known to be the most difficult to get
full-screen support working for, and the Voodoo1/Voodoo2 cards are the ones
that most need full-screen support, since they don't work at all in a
window.  When I do release the next version, I will also be releasing source
(as with past versions), and if it doesn't work properly on 3dfx-based
cards, the only likely way that it will be fixed will be for someone with
such a card to fix it and send me the source modifications.  Given that I do
not own or have access to a 3dfx-based add-in card, there isn't a whole lot
I can do to debug problems.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@san.REMOVE.rr.com)
(Remove .REMOVE from address to send me e-mail.)