 CAD / 4461
Re: The Artemis Project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 15:25:48 GMT

"Lars C. Hassing" wrote:

I don't think the file format matters for efficiency.
Big or small, text or binary, you only read the files once.
Once loaded into memory in efficient structures (depending on
the rendering method and not the file format) the show begins.

The simple DAT text format allows anyone to write a DAT
importer/exporter/manipulator/editor/viewer in any language
including scripts.
It will take much more effort to read/write the more complex
AED format.

If AED becomes reality I strongly vote for a text format, i.e.
NOT binary: you can edit files in notepad, "grep" in files, etc.

Ok, good points.  In the final analysis, I'm more concerned with the features being implemented
well, than in what format the files are saved. Stages, non-DAT elements, spline curves,
environmental attributes, animation data, etc. are all things that *should* exist in our software.
As long as they ARE saved in the file, then it doesn't really matter to me how.

BTW, if any of the ideas I brought forth in the Artemis Project seem to you to be worthwhile to be
discussed, I would invite you to open the discussion publicly.  Even if it's to say: "this is a bad
idea because..." None of these ideas will get anywhere if no-one talks about them. That's why I
published the project-- I'm hoping people will discuss the ideas.

--Karim