 CAD / 4419
Re: .dat File Help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 23:02:58 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Greg Majewski writes:
Hello, I have both LDraw and LEdit downloaded to my hard drive, and I am
proficient with neither. I only have them to view instructions that are .dat
files. I have a problem, though. Every time I try to download a .dat, my
computer tries to open the file in this program called Serif Draw v. 3.0. How
do I get my computer to open the file in LDraw?
Greg "I'm in a hovercraft bound for Paris with my favorite ex-girlfriend"
Majewski
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dome/1888/abs.html

Hi Greg,
     I think i might be able to help. I can give help in MLCad, but it is
probably the same thing to do to get it in LDraw. First, on your windows
desktop (If you have 98), right click and go to 'properties'. Then go over to
the tab that says 'Web'. Near the bottom is a button that says 'Folder
Options'. If you click on this a pop-up window will say 'Do u wish to
close...and open Folder Options?' Click yes. At the top are 3 tabs. Click on
the ones that says 'File Types'.  Click 'New type' and a window will open
saying what the new file type is. Go to file extension and put in the type
box '*.dat'. This says anyname.dat will be used by this application. Put in
the box that says 'Description of type' put 'LDRAW Document'. Then go to the
middle and where it says 'Actions' click 'New' a 2typebox window will open up,
an action and command line box. In the Command line, put the EXACT file name
of Ldraw (C:\Ldraw\Ldraw.exe) and the action box put 'Open'. Click OK. Now you
are back to the preior window. Click OK here. Now you are back to the file
type window. If you have selected a Icon for the Dos-based program, all DAT
files should have this icon too. Double clicking on a DAT file should now open
LDRAW, and not Serif Draw. I hope this helps. This is how i did mine from L3P
documents to MLCad Documents. If it doesnt work, try emailing me.

The Great and Powerful Hungry Howies employee, Rick.