 CAD / 4390
Re: questions about parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 13:36:17 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Rob Stehlik wrote:

Hi, I am very new to the L-Draw scene and have a few questions about the parts.
I just recently downloaded MLCAD and I like its format a lot. What I am
wondering is where to get new parts that don't seem to be in the 'complete'
file I downloaded at the L-Draw website.

There are a few links on the www.ldraw.org site to unofficial parts (but
I'm not sure how up-to-date these links are).  Probably the best place to
find files is at <http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dat/parts/>.

Can I dowload individual parts files?

Sure.  You can either put them in your ldraw/models/ directory or in the
ldraw/parts/ directory.

One thing to remember: if you get some unofficial parts, and the parts are
later made official, the parts might be changed -- they might be moved or
rotated.

(I am looking for newer Technic and mindstorms parts such as sensors,
mini motor, micro motor, and the RCX)

Look under 'Electric' parts.  See
<http://www.lugnet.com/cad/ldraw/parts/ref/electric.html>.  The motors and
RCX are done.  Some of the sensors, too.

Once I get the part files, how do I go
about including them with my existing parts list?

If you put the files in ldraw/parts/, just use MLCAD's 'Scan Parts' command
on the File menu.

Also, if there are parts in
my list that I will never use, and want to get rid of, how do I remove them?

You could delete the .DAT file from ldraw/parts/.  But that seems like an
extreme solution, a bit of overkill.

I don't think MLCAD allows you to reorganize the parts list.  Maybe in a
future version.

Steve