 CAD / 438
Re: MPD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 18:24:02 GMT

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999 17:11:13 GMT, Larry Pieniazek
<lpien@ctp.IWANTNOSPAM.com> wrote:

What is a MPD file? This term seems to be coming up more and more and it
baffles me.

(M)ulti-(P)art (D)AT.  I think.  An MPD is a textual archive of one or
more (usually more) DAT files.  Typically, you would use it when you
make a multi-file model, to put the main file and all its subfiles in
one piece of text, which could then be e-mailed without resorting to
binary coding or MIME attachments. The recipients could extract the data
into the original file names, and then render the model.

Originally, you had to use Jacob Sparre Andersen's splitmpd.exe utility
to extract the files into the ldraw/models directory, then render the
main file with LDraw.  I'm not sure if one or more of the LDraw-related
programs (like L3P) can now also recognize the MPD format directly.

The MPD format is:

   <header lines which are discarded by splitmpd>
   0 FILE file1.dat
   <contents of file1.dat>
   0 FILE file2.dat
  <contents of file2.dat>

The <header lines> are allowed to deal with any messages people may post
at the top of the data stream, such as:

   Here's my latest multi-function whatsit model!
   Enjoy!

   0 FILE ....

Steve