 CAD / 380
379  |  381
Subject:
L3P v1.1 19981221
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 11:34:55 GMT

The second release of L3P is ready. I hope you have been waiting for it, and
that it has been worth waiting for. New features just came floating along, I
always had just one more thing to put in before releasing, so of course I
never got to releasing it. But now I have decided to make a break and try to
release some of the good stuff before Christmas. I made the break too late,
the web pages could have been better but I think they'll do. The important
thing was to release today.

The text below is an extract from the L3P web page (URL below):

Well. I have received a lot of kind mails from all over the world, thank you
all, and I have enjoyed the many discussions in the newsgroups and mailing
lists. Among the almost fulsome praises (blushing, but don't stop ;-) were a
lot of good suggestions and ideas. This has led to several improvements of
L3 and L3P. I actually programmed most of them back in September, but since
then I have had a hard time to find enough spare time to test thouroughly
and to make the web pages. There is often a long way from implementing a new
feature and seeing that the basic idea works, to the completion of the
feature covering all cases. But in the last few weeks I have put an effort
into making this new release ready before Christmas to share the new
features with you. So here it is:

Quality Level control
---------------------
Reduce the quality level of the rendered scene to substantially speed up
test renderings. Or add the icing of the cake, or rather the studs ;-)

Seams between bricks
--------------------
To have more realistic renderings L3P can make a little space between the
bricks. Until today you couldn't tell where in the POV-Ray renderings one
brick ended and the next brick (with same color) started.

Camera Viewing Angle
--------------------
By varying the camera angle you can increase the 3D perspective distortion
(more fish-eye effect), or you can obtain almost isometric renderings.

Stereo view
-----------
By rotating the camera slightly to the left and then to the right you may
render two images as viewed from your two eyes. By looking at the stereo
pair images in a stereo viewer (some people can adjust their eyes without
one) you will experience a true 3D image with depth.

Bumps
-----
Sometimes a model may look a bit transparent, but this is really reflections
of other parts in the perfect geometric/symmetric world of Lego. L3P can now
simulate the slightly bumpy texture you can see when you look along a 1x8
Lego brick and you notice that the heating/cooling of the molding has made
the brick slightly uneven/bumpy.

POV-Ray v3.1 compatible code generation
---------------------------------------
I was rather astonished when I in November downloaded POV-Ray for Windows
v3.1 and rendered a model for the first time. There were several warnings in
the log. Although I had received a lot of mails about L3P and followed the
discussions on the Internet, I hadn't heard a single remark about these
warnings.
One of the most important new features in v3.1 is that texture is now
replaced by material which comprises both interior and texture. Some
features like refraction and ior (index of refraction) has been moved from
texture to interior, which is really logical: texture is for the surface of
an object, interior is for the - yes - interior.

By the use of the #if directive, L3P now generates POV code that runs
without any warnings on both v3.0 and 3.1. If you experience a burp from
POV, plase let me know.

Support for MPD files
---------------------
L3P can directly read multi-part LDraw files (MPD files). A multi-part LDraw
file shall contain a FILE meta-command at the start of each file. The format
of a FILE meta-command is "0 FILE somefile.dat". This saves you the process
of splitting an MPD file before rendering it.

File search also in directory of model
--------------------------------------
LDraw searches for DAT files in four places: in the current directory, in
the P directory, in the PARTS directory and finally in the MODELS directory.
L3P will now also look for files in the directory of the model file. This is
convenient if you e.g keep a model and some submodels in a separate
directory.

Unlimited number of light sources + option to add default light sources
The number of light source were in version 1.0 limited to 20 for my
programming convenience. Now you can have as many as you like. Also there is
a new option -ld to always load the three default light sources no matter if
you have included some light.dat in your model.

11 new primitives
Additional POV equivalents for primitive substitution: ring1.dat, ring2.dat,
ring3.dat, ring4.dat, ring7.dat, ring10.dat, 2-4ring3.dat, axle.dat,
4-4con12.dat, 1-4con3.dat, 1-4con4.dat

Happy rendering and Merry Christmas to you all
/Lars
Lars C. Hassing   "No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway."
L3P page: http://www.netby.net/Nord/Mandelvej/Hassing/l3p.html
Homepage: http://www.netby.net/Nord/Mandelvej/Hassing/index.html