 CAD / 3655
Re: Any way to reduce polygons?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 19:44:34 GMT

<Cough!>  Okay, time to crank my brain I guess.
I'm going to be working with a .dxf file.  If anyone has more advice
specific to those, then I'd really appreciate it.
Steve, thanks for the help.  I'm going to give this a go, but when ever it
comes down to hacking files like this, I tend to end up huddled in a corner.
Twitching.  8)

Ben
--
Ben Vaughan
buster@marsbase.com

"Steve Bliss" <blisses@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.cad, Ben Vaughan wrote:

When converting models to dxf format with dat2dxf, you end up with a
tremendous number of polygons in the converted model.  This means that • any
program used to view the file has *tons* of work to do.  Anyone know of • way
to simplify dat files down to simple solid forms?  Backface culling only
does so much when you've got 300,000 polygons (as was the case with my
Kodiak when I tried this).

I'm assuming you are generating a single, flattened stream of input,
instead of defining subobjects which correspond to the subfiles in a
model.  If I'm wrong about that, ignore the rest of this message.

One thing to do is to intercept any references to stud*.dat files, and
replace them with the equivalent cylindrical shape.  These files
typically have hundreds of references in even medium-sized models.

See <http://www.ldraw.org/memorial/archive/FAQ/Primitives_Reference> for
the definitions of most primitives.  There are a number of simple
geometric primitives that could be replaced a single object.

Steve