 CAD / 3469
Re: Gyphon Bricks? (CAD for the Mac)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 18:28:13 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss writes:
[...]

It's newer than LDraw...

My mom has a copy of Gryphon Bricks, for Windows.

It's not a bad little program.  The biggest limitations I can find are:
- fixed color palette (no clear bricks, those these were hacked in later)
- only horizontal orientation (no angular or 90-degree orientation)
- one viewing angle for models (isometric)

The bonuses are:
+ automated directions (like lDraw)
+ cross-platform
+ $8  :-)

The kids play it when they're at her house.
     ^^^^
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be insulted by this... :-)

It's not a bad program, fairly easy to use, but it should be considered a
lego-virtual-clone, as many of the pieces are not 'real LEGO'.

Yup -- it's truly a Lego-like product, make no mistake.  It can export models as
text files, though, so I have hope that I'll be able to write an lDraw->Bricks
(and Bricks->lDraw) converter for very basic, up-and-down models.

I'm going to go through your parts list to map the lDraw part numbers to Bricks'
part numbers.  I'm also going to craft a letter to Knowledge Adventure asking
that they release the source code, since this appears to be a defunct product
now.

- Mike